Sunday, May 09, 2010

Opinions Welcome on SC Supt of Ed Candidates

Many times newspapers can be useful when TV and blogs are not.

I'm writing of the large spread given to the candidates for State Superintendent of Education in Sunday's P&C. It's always better to have details other than sound-bites. [See 8 Candidates Vie to be Next Superintendent of Education]

Trouble is, without knowing the candidates personally, how do you decide whom to vote for? They all say the politically-correct words and put their best foot forward.

From the article, the best seems to be Kelly Payne of Columbia, but that opinion is based solely on her answers to the P&C, in fact, one in particular. She says,

"If elected, she said she would ensure that independent auditors would look at every budget in the state's school districts and the state Department of Education; she wants spending transparency."

Oh, yes. I like that. I suspect many people would.

Any further information on these eight candidates?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If she really means it..."auditors would look at every budget in the state's school districts"...I could support Kelly Payne standing on that platform all day long. But I won't be voting in the Republican primary.

As for the Democrats, the choices are between Frank Holleman (who is luke warm on charter school options) and Tom Thompson (who opposes charter schools outright). My color is Blue so I'll be voting for Holleman in June, but I'm open to suggestions on whom to support in November.